Manifestation of our Gift, the Holy Spirit, to be clothed with Power from On High.
The Greek word is Glosselaleo; the direct translation literally meaning, “language-speaking”. Tongue is another word for language. So speaking in tongues means speaking in a language that you don’t know what it means.
Acts 1:8 “but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
We have come a long way holding fast to our faith and knowing deep within us that when we speak in tongues we are not purposefully forming a language to dramatize our believes, as many have claimed. The video clip below shows how Science proves what the Christians have claimed all along.
Why Speak in Tongue?
Speaking in tongues is biblical and a promise from God.
Mark 16:17: “These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;”
Acts 1:4-5: “Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, “Which,” He said, “you heard of from Me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
Speaking in tongues is the external, tangible evidence in the senses realm, that the internal, intangible gift of Holy Spirit is inside you.
Tongues came from God.
Luke 24:49: “And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”
Acts 2:1-4: “When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.”
Benefits of Speaking in Tongue.
1. Many times we know we need to pray for someone or something but do not know what to pray. When we speak in tongues, the Holy Spirit who knows all thing help us to pray. Romans 8:26: “In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;”
2. Tongues takes over what words cannot express in our attitude towards God in worship. 1 Corinthians 14:15: “What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.”
3. We can thank God and bless Him in the spirit even when times are difficult for us. 1 Corinthians 14:16-17: “Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?”
4. When we speak in tongues, our spirit, which is always God-conscious, prays instead of our mind which is always easily distracted. 1 Corinthians 14:14: “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.”
5. We edify ourselves. 1 Corinthians 14:4: “One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.”
6. We build ourselves up in faith. Jude 20: “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,”
7. The church may be edify if our tongues are interpreted. 1 Corinthians 14:5: “Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.”
8. Tongues is a sign to the unbelievers. 1 Corinthians 14:22: “So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.”
9. Tongues is a sign of power received from God. Acts 1:8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
Is Speaking in Tongue a Possession?
NO, since in the bible we were told we have control over when and where we choose to speak in tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:15: “What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.”
How often Should we Speak in Tongue?
As often as possible. Apostle Paul instructed the Corinthian church regarding speaking in tongue. He himself spoke in tongues very often, so much so he is very confident that none in the Corinthian church have spoken in tongues more than him. Some bible version even says he spoke in tongues more than all of them added together”. 1 Corinthians 14:18: “I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;”
Is Speaking in Tongue the evidence of the Holy Spirit?
Acts 19:6: “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.”
Acts 10:44-47 “While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?””
Acts 8:17: “Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.”
Yes according to the above verses. It often seems that whenever the Holy Spirit fell on the new believers, they will end up speaking in tongues. However, there are also many occasions recorded in bible that it did not happen the same way.
Acts 2:41: So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.
Acts 4:4: “But many of those who had heard the message believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand.”
Acts 8:38-39: “And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing.”
So the claim that if a believer do not speak in tongues, then he/she may not have received the Holy Spirit is wrong and not biblical. By faith we know the moment we believe we received the Holy Spirit. We must understand that speaking in tongues will not get us saved, only believing in Jesus Christ, who saves us from our sins.
Why is There an Absent of Evidence?
1. By Choice 1 Corinthians 14:19: “however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.” We make the choice when or where we speak in tongues, or not at all. Speaking in tongues is not a public demonstration of spiritual levels but an inward expression of our intimacy with God.
2. Self Conscious. When we are too conscious of ourselves we often become tongue-tied. We are worried what others may think of us or what if we messed up. Matthew 16:24-25: “Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” Self-consciousness is not God-consciousness. God doesn’t want us focused on ourselves, He wants us to be focused on Him! It’s when we die to our flesh, that the life we’re living becomes the life He lives through us
3. Lack of faith. The main reason why so many Christians struggle with a lack of faith is because we follow our perceptions of what is true rather than what we know to be true by faith. We are simply unwilling to do something we have never done before because we are afraid of the unknown, at least our own unknown. 2 Corinthians 5:7: “for we walk by faith, not by sight.” Hebrews 11:6: ” And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.” If we are able to see the truth; understand its importance and know what needs to be done but still we are stagnated, then we are living in fear. Fear is living in a constant state of faithlessness.
Different Type of Tongues in the Bible
1. An unknown tongue unto God. 1 Corinthians 14:2: “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.” This type of tongues edify oneself and build that person up in spiritual walk with the Lord.
2. A known tongue that is a sign to unbelievers. 1 Corinthians 14:22: “So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.” Acts 2:6: ” And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language.” This is usually a tongue recognizable to the unbelievers, a foreign earth language.
3. A tongue that is understood through interpretation and edifies the church. 1 Corinthians 14:5: “Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.” This is the type of tongues God gave to an individual for the church so that when another interpret it it give edification to the church. That also means that when God gave the utterance for this type of tongues He will also give the interpretation through another or the same person.
How to Start Speaking in Tongue?
1. You must be born again. Romans 10:9-10: “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”
2. You must have a desire for it and pray. Psalm 37:4: “Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.” John 14:13: “Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”
3. You are in control. 1 Corinthians 14:15: “What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.”
4. Remember you cannot do it wrong. Well, there is one way to fail: When it comes to speaking in tongues, there is only one way to fail… and that is not to speak.
5. Do not wait for a sign or right feelings, it may never come.
6. When you start to speak, it is like you switched on the switch and automatically electricity will flow. Nothing will flow as long as you do not switch on the switch.
7. Practice and do it as often as we can.